Friday, September 25, 2009

Cranberry Beans

Just a quick blog today.
Its fall now and cranberry beans are out.
Aren't they beautiful? I shell
them and cook them in a bit of
water with some savory and salt.
They lose a bit of their color
but they gain an incredible fragrance.




Here is my own private hill of beans. On top of
it is some of my own savory that I grew all by myself.



They kind of make you think of that poem
by Gerard Manly Hopkins about
praise be to God for dappled things...
Oh darn, now I have to go find the poem.


Pied Beauty
By Gerard Manley Hopkins

Glory be to God for dappled things –
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced – fold, fallow, and plough;
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim.



All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:


Praise him.

No comments: