Saturday, February 16, 2008

Pumpkin Bread

This recipe was given to me by my son when he was in nursery school.
It has been used hundreds of times.




The only change I have made to the original is the addition
of about a tablespoon of dried ginger.


Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsps. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsps. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tblsp. dried ginger
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
2 cups pumpkin puree (I use one small can of Libby's)

Sift dry ingredients together. Mix pumpkin, water, oil and eggs together.
Pour into dry mixture and mix well. Pour into 2 parchment paper lined
9"x5"x3" loaf pans. Bake in 350 degree oven 1 hour and 15 minutes.

And here is the result. It keeps very well.

3 comments:

Morven said...

I was given a humungous crown pumpkin by a workmate whose partner has a dairy farm and when they fed out pumpkins to the cows the pumpkins self seeded. This looks like it could make great use of the pumpkin. Now if I could just find my loaf pans.....

Morven said...

I made this and it is DELICIOUS. I put chopped crystallized ginger in it for a bit of zing and it was a very nice addition. Thanks for the recipe. It's a keeper.

winkyndobby said...

I have been using this exact recipe for 10 years--since one of my college professors handed it to me. I've tried others, and this is hands down, the BEST!! Freezing or fridge at least overnight is an absolute MUST; it amplifies the pumpkin flavors and softens the crust....I have also since decided that a bit of nutmeg and a sprinkling of cinnamon-sugar on top before baking gives a wonderful texture to the top. Thanks for the parchment tip!